Termite Prevention Tips
Learn Why Termites Attack and What You Can Do To Stop Them
Why do termites attack? The answer is simple. Prevention is, too. But it takes persistence, and the dedicated team at Terminix to keep your home termite free.
Most species of termites favor warm, moist environments where wood – termites’ primary food source – is easily accessible from the soil. When these conditions are present during swarming season, termites are much more likely to invade your home.
So what can you do to prevent these conditions and stop termites from eating into your home investment? Start by following these steps:
- Place mulch and landscaping at least 12 inches from the bottom of your foundation wall. Approximate mulch may have a nice appearance, but it creates a protective avenue for termites to enter your home. Mulch retains moisture; so do plastic flower bed covers, giving termites sustenance for their journey into your home.
- Construct your home so that your siding is about 6 inches or higher above the ground. Siding that reaches the ground provides yet another entry point for termites.
- Plan ahead when you plant. Know how large your shrubs will grow when you plant them next to your home. Keeping them far enough away, and pruning often, will prevent them from harboring unsavory pests.
- Seal cracks in your foundation or basement walls, attic, eaves, vents and window seals.
- Keep wood sources away from your home. Firewood, debris, mulch and lumber piles are all good sources of new termite activity. Don’t shorten their voyage to your front door.
- Regularly clean gutters and downspouts to remove stagnant, moist debris.
- Periodically inspect decks, storage buildings, porches and other wooden structures near your home for termite activity.
- Inspect the inside of your home for termite damage. Look for bubbling or honey-combed wood that sounds hollow when knocked, or easily chips and breaks. Study pictures of termite damage before you begin so you know what to look for.
- If building a home, use as much non-cellulose material as possible. Also ask your contractor about other Integrated Pest Management (IPM) solutions to make your new home unappealing to termites.
- Call Terminix and schedule your free, no-obligation home inspection today. Regular inspections and treatments will ensure your home stays termite free.
Don’t let termites destroy your home and finances. Call the termite professionals at Terminix today.
Want Terminix To
Call You Instead?
Fill out and submit the form below and a termite specialist will contact you shortly.
Wipe out termites with Terminix's Termite Inspection & Protection Plan®:
- Certified inspection of your home and property once a year
- Treatment fees waived if termites appear
- Complete coverage of termite damage repair bills
- Low monthly cost, as low as $35/mo.
- 100% money-back guarantee